Ortelius delivers with templates for backgrounds, blank standard paper, and several world, regional, and country outline maps. When you first open Ortelius, the Template Chooser is shown by default. Included templates are of varying paper sizes and designs, some of which are sized for poster (tiled) printing or can be shrunk to fit to a single page upon printing.
When you save a drawing created from a standard or custom template, the modifications will not affect the original file. That is, the template itself remains untouched.
Open a New Drawing from Template
Choose ‘File > Templates > New From Template…’ from the main menu.
- Browse the folders of included templates, or your user templates (if any).
- Click “New” to use the template, or “Cancel” to skip templates.
- Check the box to Show the Template Gallery when opening Ortelius.
- Within any given template, drawing objects are placed on different layers to keep objects organized. Choose the Layers Tab, then click onto a layer to make it active. Use the Select [s] tool and click an object within the active layer to select it.
Display (or Hide) the Template Gallery when Launching Ortelius
- Launch Ortelius (first time) or choose ‘File > Template > New From Template…’ from the main menu.
- Do one of the following:
- Check (or uncheck) ‘Show this window at launch’ to be presented with the template window each time you open Ortelius, or
- Open ‘Ortelius > Preferences… > Options’ in the main menu and check (or uncheck) ‘Show Template Gallery when launching application.’
Create Your Own Templates
- Create a new drawing.
- Choose ‘File > Templates… > Save Copy As Template’ to create your own template. A copy of the file is stored in the Template Gallery under a folder titled ‘My Templates’.
Manage ‘My Templates’
User created templates are saved to a special folder. Here’s how to access them:
- Choose ‘File > Templates > New From Template…’ from the main menu.
- Click to select a template (it will be highlighted in green when selected).
- Right-click the selected user template and choose “Reveal In Finder” from the contextual menu.
Need a hand getting started? Ortelius’ Templates include a series of hands-on exercises to help users who are new to vector drawing tools. Choose ’File > Templates > New From Template…’ from the main menu and select a new document from the Hands On Exercises.