The Graph Paper layer is included in all new drawings. The Graph Paper layer is customizable. It is hidden by default.
Show / Hide Graph Paper
Do one of the following:
- Click the Show / Hide (eye) icon to the right of the Graph Paper layer name to make it visible, or
- Choose ‘File > Graph Paper Settings…’ to open the Graph Paper setup dialog and check the box to make grid lines ‘Visible’, or
- Right-click the Graph Paper layer and choose ‘Show Graph Paper’ from the contextual menu.
Change Grid Line Colors, Rulers and Spacing
Graph paper uses the unit of measure of the drawing canvas (see Drawing Setup). Grid line spacing, colors, and rulers are customizable.
To open graph paper settings, do one of the following:
- From the Drawing Setup dialog, choose the ‘Graph Paper’ tab, or
- Choose ‘File > Graph Paper Settings…’ from the main menu, or
- Right-click the Graph Paper layer in the Layers Tab and choose ‘Graph Paper Settings…’ from the contextual menu.
Grid line spacing, colors, and rulers are customizable. The following settings are available:
- SPAN – the distance between graph paper primary grid lines, displayed in current drawing units.
- DIVISIONS – minor subdivisions between grid spans.
- MAJORS – major lines encompassing several spans.
For colors, do one of the following:
- Click ‘Theme based on:’ color-well and choose a new color for your graph paper. Semi-transparent colors are recommended. Automatically generated shades represent span, divisions, and majors based on your color choice, or
- Click ‘Or’ and click the color-wells to change the color independently for span, divisions, and majors. Semi-transparent colors are recommended.
For ruler labels, change the span line setting.
Snap to Graph Paper
When ‘Snap To Graph Paper’ is enabled from the main menu, object handles, centroids, and points snap to the intersections of grid lines regardless of whether the Graph Paper layer is visible or hidden.
- Turn on (show) the Graph Paper layer.
- Choose ‘Graphic > Snap To > Graph Paper’ from the main menu.
HINT: By default, Snap To Graph Paper is active when the Graph Paper Layer is visible.
To Enable (or Disable) Automatic Snapping when Graph Paper Layer is Visible
By default, automatic snapping is enabled when the Graph Paper layer is visible, and do not snap when the layer is hidden.
- Open the ‘Ortelius > Preferences…’ Editing menu.
- Check (or uncheck) the ‘Snap to graph paper when graph paper is visible’ option.