The Contour Layer feature is included as a demo feature for users desiring to draw cross section elevation profiles and illustrative (fiction) maps. Demo features are not fully supported nor intended for applications that require accuracy.
To Add Contours:
Adding contours is much like painting them on your map canvas with your cursor.
- With the Contour layer active, press and drag the cursor around the map canvas, release. A contour is added.
- Press and drag again adds another contour and automatically adjusts existing contour lines if they push up against each other.
To Adjust the Contour Settings:
The Contours dialog lets you adjust the following settings:
- Show (or hide) the cross-section (‘Section’) bar
- Switch the cross-section bar from horizontal to vertical
- Change base height
- Unit of measure
- Contour interval
- Line width
- Smooth or simplify contours
- Color of contours with positive or negative elevations
- Apply raise or lower terrain or cut valley tool actions
- Size of terrain tool
To View Cross-Sections of Elevation:
- With the Contour layer active, drag the ‘Section’ bar across your map area. The elevations at the bottom of the bar are shown in the cross-section interactively as the bar is dragged.
- Use the ‘Contours’ dialog to switch the cross-section bar from horizontal to vertical.