The Library Manager operates behind the scenes. It’s where all styles and symbols are organized into collections and categories.
The Library Manager uses an interface which is very similar to other applications such as Finder and iTunes(TM), and this familiarity should make it quick and easy to learn and use. Similar to the Styles & Symbols palette, items can be dragged directly from the Library Manager to your drawing canvas.
The Library Manager’s left sidebar lists the collections and categories, and its main window displays items an icon view or list view. The Library Manager view is customizable.
To Open the Library Manager:
Do one of the following:
- Choose Window > Library Manager from the main menu.
- Add the Library Manager to the toolbar by customizing the toolbar.
The Library Manager contains two libraries – the Mapdiva Library and the user’s ‘My Library’. Each library may contain one or more collections.
- The Mapdiva Library contains a Built-In Collection with hundreds of styles and symbols ready for making your next masterpiece. Items in this library cannot be modified, though they can be reorganized into various categories and subcategories, and also copied (cloned) to My Library for further customization.
- ‘My Library’ is the location of user created collections. Organize your styles and symbols into categories as desired.
To Save Custom Styles to My Library:
- Open the Style Inspector.
- Create a new style.
- Name the style and provide an optional description.
- Click the “Add to User Collection…” button. The saved items are managed in the Library Manager under “My Library” and can be renamed, categorized, locked/unlocked, and more.
See Using the Style Inspector for more information about saving styles through the Style Inspector.
To Save Your Own Custom Symbols to the Library Manager:
Any graphic you draw can be saved as your own symbols in Ortelius. If your graphic is made up of two or more objects, those objects must be grouped if it is to be saved as a single symbol. Saved items are managed in the Library Manager under “My Library” and can be renamed, categorized, locked for editing, and more.
- Create your graphic(s) and group the objects as necessary.
- Select one or more separate graphics (each separate object or group will be added as an individual symbol).
- Do one of the following:
- Choose Graphic > Save Symbol to Library… from the main menu.
- If available, click the Add Symbol icon from the toolbar (note, the Add Symbol icon can be added to the toolbar by customizing the toolbar).
- Use the CMND-Y keyboard shortcut.
4. In the symbol’s Save As dialog, you have the option to name your symbol, add an optional description, make symbols auto-detach from their symbol master when placed (treat as standard graphics rather than symbols), sequnceable, locked, and scale. If adding multiple symbols, you can cycle through these settings for each symbol at this time.
5. Click ‘Done’. The symbol(s) are available immediately under “My Library” from the Styles & Symbols Palette.
HINT: To access the symbol Save As dialog later, right-click a symbol in the Library Manager and choose ‘Edit…’ from the contextual menu.
Related Topic: Creating New Symbols
To Make Items Editable or Not Editable:
Do one of the following:
- Right-click the item and choose ‘Editable’ (or ‘Not Editable’) from the contextual menu.
- From within the List view, click the icon to the right of the item name to toggle between ‘Editable’ or ‘Not Editable’.
- Within the Icon view, double-click a style to open it in the Style Inspector. Change the Editable status from within the Style Inspector.
To Rename User Styles and Symbols:
Items must be editable (unlocked) in order to receive changes. Do one of the following:
- Right-click a symbol or style in the Library Manager and choose ‘Rename’ from the contextual menu. The item name will be highlighted for editing. Type to rename it.
- Double-click the name of the item in the Library Manager. Type to rename it.
HINT: Items in the built-in Mapdiva Library cannot be renamed.
To Move or Copy Items:
- Drag-and-drop to move items between collections and categories.
- To copy an item from one collection to another, hold the Option-key while dragging the item.
HINT: Dragging from the Mapdiva Library to your own collection will copy the item rather than move it.
To Delete Items:
To permanently remove an item from the User Library,
- Select the item(s) and right-click.
- Choose “Delete…” from the contextual menu.
HINT: Items must be ‘Editable’ to be deleted. Items in the built-in Mapdiva Library cannot be deleted.
To Manage Categories:
Categories keep your styles and symbols organized and easy to find. You can freely add categories to organize the collections, and categories can be divided into subcategories.
- Adding a New Category – Click the ‘+’ button or choose “New Category” in the Action Menu (looks like a gear). A new “untitled category” is added to the active collection (or, if you have selected a category, a new subcategory (child) of the selected category is added). Type a name for the category. A category can be renamed at any time by double-clicking its name and typing a new one. Category names must be unique within a collection.
- Deleting Categories – Select the category and click the ‘-‘ button or choose “Delete Category…”. Deleting a category does not delete the styles and symbols it contains – items remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted – but they may be harder to find later. This operation cannot be undone.
- Adding Items to Categories – Individual styles and symbols can belong to one or more category. Items are organized into categories using drag-and-drop. Simply select the “All Items” category to show the content of the library, then drag items (shift-click to select multiple items) to the desired category in the left-hand list. To nest and unnest categories, just drag-and-drop the category where you want it.
- Removing Items from Categories – Select the items, right-click and choose “Remove From Category” from the contextual menu. Alternatively, select the category and drag items out of the window to some empty space. Removing an item from a category does not delete it from its collection – it will remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted. Items can’t be removed from or directly added to any of the automatically managed categories, such as “All Items.”
To Use Smart Categories:
In addition to normal categories, a special type of category exists called a “Smart Category.” Smart Categories are shown having a purple-colored icon.
Smart Categories work by filtering the entire collection based on a set of criteria you establish. As such, their content is dynamic and will change automatically as items are added, removed and edited. Smart Categories are similar to Smart Folders and Smart Playlists feature in applications such as Finder and iTunes(TM).
- To Add a New Smart Category – Select the collection to add it to and choose New Smart Category… from the Action Menu. The criteria editor is opened ready to edit the category. You can build up the desired filter by combining different criteria as you wish; click ‘+’ to add a new criteria to the query, ‘-‘ to remove a criteria. You can also limit the content to a fixed number of results if you wish. Click ‘Save’ to establish the Smart Category which will immediately display the content matching the query. Double-click the name or right-click and choose “Rename” from the contextual menu to change a Smart Category’s name.
- Editing Smart Categories – Smart Categories are not directly editable in that you can’t drag items into or out of them, but you can edit the filter criteria. To edit the filter criteria, select the category and choose “Edit Smart Category…” from the Action Menu. The criteria editor is opened ready to edit the category.
- Deleting Smart Categories – Select the category and click the ‘-‘ button or choose “Delete Category…”. Deleting a category does not delete the styles and clipart it contains – items remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted. This operation cannot be undone.
To Get More Information on Styles and Symbols:
- Click the “Get Info” icon in the Library Manager Toolbar.
A drawer slides out and displays information about the selected style or symbol. This information includes the name, description, and other item metadata. Use the information panel to edit the name and description of your User Library items.
To Import a Collection:
If you receive a collection from another user (or from Mapdiva), do one of the following:
- In Finder, unzip the file (as needed), then in the Library Manager choose “Import Collection…” from the Action Menu (looks like a gear). The collection will be imported into My Library and displayed.
- In Finder, unzip the file (as needed), then double-click the collection file. The Ortelius Library Manager will launch and collection will be automatically imported into My Library.