Over the past few years, the software industry has changed around us. In particular, two trends have significantly impacted independent developers: 1) Updates to the Mac operating system (MacOS) have become annual events that require significant investment to maintain compatibility and customer support, and 2) Perpetual licenses have become increasingly unsustainable and difficult for developers to support. For example, Apple’s own Mac App Store policy, which doesn’t allow developers to directly charge for upgrades, further complicates the situation. To adjust to these new realities, more and more applications are moving to subscription license models.
We recognize that some find software subscriptions controversial, and we understand you may have concerns. To you, we want to clearly articulate our goals and objectives:
- To develop software that helps you do more, in less time, saving you money and giving you more creative control.
- To operate a stable company, so that we may continue building the products you love.
- To give back to the community that supports us.
- To keep our products affordable and within reach, providing the best value and products in our class.
Here’s how we are making this a reality:
- We’re proud to bring you a professional creative Mac app with tons of useful, time-saving features for map design, in-app resources, efficient workflows, and online learning resources.
- We’ve integrated secure and reliable industry leading e-commerce and rights management solutions to give you piece of mind, and that enables us to offer flexible licensing options. We’re offering Ortelius 2 as an always up-to-date subscription license. We’ve established a value-oriented annual license, backed up by quarterly and monthly options, to balance our revenue and support our product development team. We continue to support a perpetual license option for those who are unable or unwilling to choose subscription plans.
- We’ve established the Ortelius Academic Program, where we contribute about 20% of our licenses to education. We are also active participants in, and contributors to, open software and open geo-data communities.
- We’ve stuck with price points that make sense. Ortelius is a unique stand-alone creative map design solution that remains hands-down more affordable than any other combination of professional products (such as Illustrator + cartography plugins, or pro GIS software).
We’ve already heard from many of you that Ortelius adds significant value to your tool chest. You’ve told your friends about Ortelius, and you’ve helped us grow. For this we sincerely thank you.
If you’ve had questions about our new license options, we hope this clarifies our new offerings. We hope you’ll understand the ability for software companies, especially those limited to a relatively small market, to remain viable is increasingly difficult. Well-done productivity apps require significant up-front investment and require regular maintenance and upgrades. Mapdiva’s culture is very value-oriented, and we are proud to continue to offer one of the most affordable and unique vector graphic design programs available.
We hope that in some small way our products help you to grow, achieve more, bring you creative satisfaction, and impact your success.
All our best,
Graham & Jill
The Mapdiva Team