The Cartography and Geographic Information Society (CaGIS) Annual Map Competition is under way. Cartographers and mapmakers in the United States and Canada are invited to submit their maps to one of the following categories:
- Reference – A map whose objective is to show the location of a variety of different features.
- Thematic – A map whose objective is to illustrate a theme or the relationship among several themes.
- Book & Atlas – Atlases and books use original maps as the primary or significant communication device.
- Recreation & Travel – A map designed to assist readers in recreation or travel.
- Interactive & Digital – A map designed for digital media; it should include some sort of interactivity or animation.
- Other – A map that does not fit into any other category (e.g., globes, art pieces).
Last year, Ortelius cartographer Rhonda Lerner was awarded Honorable Mention for her map, “Rhonda’s Centro Histórico Guide & Street Map of San Miguel de Allende” in this prestigious competition.
Submissions are due February 1st, 2015. The online submission form and further directions are available at www.cartogis.org/awards/contest.php.
(Note, Mapdiva is not affiliated with this competition.)