Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JasonC
      Participant

Having discovered this alternative ‘labelling’ method, is there a way of manually placing the text along the line? It seems it can only be centred, left-aligned or right-aligned.

Mapdiva

Hi Jason,

Using text as labels on a track, you can adjust the left/center/right alignment of the text within the text area. Placing labels with the Linear Select tool on tracks, you can also manually position the label along the track. The label has a “bubble” area that can be grabbed on and dragged around, “sliding” along the track. Or select the yellow label handle to drag it along the track. The orange handle controls the width of the label. The center cyan handle controls vertical placement. If needed, you can right-click and detach the label from the feature, turning it into text-on-path. Alternatively, you can use text-box and text-on-path tools for placing text.

Using labels vs. free-text will help you to control the placement with features keeping standard placement and alignment with many map features.

Graham
      Keymaster

Text Adornments are not intended for labelling, and so will certainly prove less flexible than actual labels for adding text. However, labels are not yet fully supported for all object types, so for ordinary paths you will have to use an alternative method. A Text Adornment is one way, but it will be limited to left, right and centre positions relative to the base path.

Since labels are supported on ‘Track’ objects, you could also just use a track object to define the path and add labels as usual. To prevent the track from connecting to others accidentally, you could edit its track type attribute to something arbitrary of your own choice.

JasonC
      Participant

Thanks for the further update on this. Sorry, I have been up to my eyeballs in work and haven’t had time to get back to this recently.

Drawing other line types does enable you to associate a data with them. I assumed that data could be used as a label as with tracks.

I think you saw where I am coming from Graham. Sometimes linear feature need labels that are not necessarily, as you need to think about them, ‘tracks’. For example, water features. I guess it needs a change of mindset to regard all lines (that need labels with flexible placement options) to be tracks. I’m not sure whether this seems to be a problem, or whether it is just a case of re-education. I’m sure you probably here a lot of… Illustrator this, Freehand that! They are my references, but like many others out there, I see Ortelius as having the potential to be the mapping tool of choice for these users.

Keep it up!!

Graham
      Keymaster

Hi Jason, “tracks” are what we call interconnectable paths. They can be used to represent anything you wish really, they are not limited to ‘tracks’ in the sense of a road or pathway. Water features such as canals, streams and rivers are probably best drawn using tracks also. A track will only connect to another track having a matching type, which you can set using the Object Inspector. Tracks initially default to a ‘generic’ type which connects to any other track having the same type. (Other advantages of tracks as opposed to ordinary paths is that tracks also support mixed styles along their length, overlaid styles such as bridges, and ‘adornments’ which are attached symbols – for example if you wanted to add symbols for lock gates to a canal waterway, this would be an ideal way to do it).

Labels and data attributes are linked, but only loosely. All objects have attributes, but currently only some support labels. Labels can reference data attributes but really the attributes exist independently of labels. (Text Adornments can also reference the same data attributes).

That said we do plan to support labels everywhere eventually, including on ordinary paths that are just standalone objects having no automatic connectivity. Right now we implemented labels on those objects that are most likely to have a good use for them, so that we could make best use of limited development resources.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Text Adornment’ is closed to new replies.