Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter Forster
      Participant

Firstly – great product really enjoying learning it.

A quick question about symbol labels. How do I remove the white outline from the text without detaching the label from the symbol?

Mapdiva

Glad you’re liking it. Many styles have label templates defined with a white “mask” behind the text (I think these are what you’re referring to). Text outlines are another nice option. With labels, both text masks and outlines are defined from the Style Inspector.

The easiest way to change this to either change the default style or create a new style by cloning it. Cloning is recommended. With the style unlocked, choose the Text Adornment and activate its check box. now you can change the style component, for example to remove the text mask. After you’re done defining the style, uncheck the Text Adornment so it acts as a template.

Note, if you want to view the style changes as they’re made, you can type any free-text in the Style Inspector text box and it will display with the feature – just remove the text when you’re done so the %%Name remains. This process is more straight-forward with free-text (you can make these changes directly/on-the-fly through the Object Inspector) and for other styling of labels, such as color and font. We’ll look into ways to improve the interface on this as well. Thanks.

Peter Forster
      Participant

Okay I think I understand now. Here’s what I did…

I placed the symbol ‘city / capital 1’ on a map. I then used Edit – Labels and Text – New Label to add a label.

Placing a coloured object behind the symbol label shows that the text has a white outline. I would like to remove this.

But clicking on the symbol and looking in style inspector does not allow me to clone the style. There is no immediately obvious way to change the text style (although you can change the font from the fonts window)

However right click and detaching the symbol from the symbol master and then ungroup shows that it is made of two items – a circle and a star. The star contains a text adornment style which is not activated but can be and by changing this to the desired text style, regrouping the circle and star and then creating a new symbol I have my desired style.

Is this the correct procedure (which isn’t a problem as it allows me precise control) or am I missing a trick and there is a quicker way to achieve this?

Mapdiva

Hi Peter, Congratulations, you’ve discovered the trick to deconstructing symbols and changing label templates! If you regroup, you can also save your changes as a new symbol. While it does allow precise control, its not very direct. We’re working on an enhancement to make outline and mask editable more directly, as color, font, shadow, and size are currently. The interface will likely be through the Object Inspector, similar to setting these properties with free-text. Thanks.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Symbol labels – white text outline’ is closed to new replies.