• Author

tammyb2000
    Participant

I am looking to purchase the artboard app and have downloaded the trial to give it a go first. The three main things I want to be able to do are to; remove the background from an image, cut out objects/shapes from an image/illustration and recolour parts of images and I am struggling to work out how to do any of these – is it possible to do these things on artboard?

i haven’t used creative apps/software before, so i am learning this all from scratch. I have tried reading through the user guide and looking through the tutorials but haven’t found the answers yet. The ‘help’ in the app doesn’t come up with anything either… so far I am not finding this as easy as the marketing/hype would suggest.

For example – how would i go about removing the background and/or cutting out the flamingo image attached? And how could i change the colours of the countries in the world map attached? And if i have an image that has a transparent background – how do i make it transparent in artboard – like the koala image attached?

Can anyone help me with this please, or do i need to find another drawing app to meet my needs?

thanks
    Tammy

Hi Tammy,

First, you need to be very clear that Artboard is a vector drawing app. It’s not like Photoshop. (It’s more like Illustrator).

In a vector app, you work with paths, which can act as masks, or can be filled and stroked to form elements of a drawing. Images are treated as an object within the hierarchy of drawing objects. This is in contrast to Photoshop, which treats images as a large array of pixels (this is also known as ‘raster’ graphics). Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. Vector drawing is appropriate for graphic design, construction of images composed of many elements, logos, flyers, book illustration, etc. Pixel-based editing is more appropriate for manipulating photographic images.

Artboard allows images to be brought in and treated as an element in a drawing. You can certainly use paths to remove a background, and there are some image adjustment tools available, but the full pixel-by-pixel editing of e.g. Photoshop is not what Artboard is about.

There is more about the difference between vector and pixel here: Vector vs. Raster Drawing

To remove an image background, draw a path using path tools and position it over the image you wish to crop. Select both objects and then choose the “intersection” command. The path will be applied to the image as a clipping path, removing the parts of the image outside the path.

To edit an image, double-click it to put it into “edit” mode. Then use the palette of adjustment controls to alter colours, apply effects, etc.

tammyb2000
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

tammyb2000
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Hi Tammy,

What you wish to do seems to be well within the capabilities of our software, and you will certainly find it much easier to use than, for example, Illustrator.

The only thing that gives me pause is your use of the word “images”. To us, images are pixel-based graphics such as photographs (e.g. JPEG), but can also include artwork in raster formats such as PNG, TIFF or GIF. As stated, these images can be brought into Artboard and manipulated as single objects, including having clipping paths applied. BUT they remain pixel-based images. Once an image has been saved in a raster format, any vector paths it might have originally consisted of will have been lost. However, Artboard does have a “vectorise” command which can go some way to turning raster-based images into vectors, though we consider that a somewhat more expert feature to get the best results from.

If you mean “images” in a more generic sense of any graphics or drawing, then provided you are careful with your choice of formats, you can preserve vectors at all times. One way to do this is to look for clip-art and graphics in “SVG” format (Scalable Vector Graphics), which is a standardised format for vector illustrations. Artboard can import these and preserve their vector format so they can be broken apart and edited as a hierarchical set of vectors.

Making collages is a very common use of Artboard.

In terms of tutorials, Artboard includes a set of “hands-on” templates that walks you through the basics by tracing elements in the template at your own pace. We also have many, many tutorials in video form, as well as extensive on-line help which can be accessed either on this website or through the built-in help browser in Artboard itself. You can also of course ask questions on the forum and contact us for support, and though we can’t really offer free 1:1 tutoring services, we’ll certainly try to answer specific questions as best we can.

Hope this helps,

Mapdiva Customer Support

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.