• Author

bobvisser
    Participant

I try to combine a stroke with Text Label (via Label Template).
    This succeeds, but not all fonts can be selected, such as symbol-fonts (like zapfdingbats).
    Can this be added? I miss this very much.

In Ortelius 1 I could add a symbol as a path decoration to a stroke. This still works, but I miss the lead-in option.

So I cannot place a symbol in the middle of stroke within a style easily anymore.
    Or does somebody have a solution?

bobvisser
    Participant

Somebody? Support?

Graham
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

I have been hesitant to reply on this because it’s not that clear what the issue is. I can see that choosing a font such as ‘Zapf Dingbats’ from the font menu in the Label Template is not functioning as expected – when I try this it defaults to Lucida Grande instead. Font handling is very complicated, so it will take me a little time to figure out what’s going on.

If you want to attach arbitrary symbols to a track, you can do this directly by using the Symbol Stamp tool, and clicking or dragging the tool onto a track. You can then drag it along the track to position it wherever you want using the normal arrow tool. This might be a different effect than using a text label with a symbol in it, though it’s not completely clear from your description. In other words it might not be the workaround you need. It is designed for the purpose of adding single symbols to tracks though, which sounds like what you’re trying to do.

The ‘Path Decorator’ component is intended to repeatedly replicate an element along a path or track rather than place one singly, though with sufficient spacing it might be possible to achieve that, and use the ‘lead-in’ to position it where you want. This isn’t really the purpose of Path Decorators, which is why we simplified the UI for Ortelius 2 to remove the ‘lead-in’ property since in normal use it’s got very limited utility. We can certainly add it back if there’s a convincing enough use-case (note that this property is still honoured internally, so styles that use it should render correctly).

Edit: a little exploring on the Font issue did allow me to use a symbol from ‘Zapf Dingbats’ in a Label Template.The issue seems to be that some fonts only contain certain special unicode symbols, and ‘Zapf Dingbats’ is one of them. If the text characters in the template are not available in the font, the font can’t be used since it doesn’t have glyphs for that character. This is just how unicode fonts work these days. But a workaround is straightforward: open the ‘Emoji & Symbols’ palette from Edit. This is a standard Mac OS feature (in older OS versions this was called ‘Special Characters’). Find the symbol you want to use and insert it into the Text field for the Label Template. With that character in the field, the Zapf Dingbats font (and other symbolic fonts) can be chosen. The symbol now shows up when you make a label for an object having this style, and you can position this wherever you want to place the symbol on the path or track. This does give almost the same effect as the Symbol on track feature I mentioned above, which is really the recommended method, and likely simpler since it doesn’t involve setting up a special style to include the symbol you want. Let me know if this works for you.

The topic ‘Missing function(s) Ortelius 2’ is closed to new replies.