• Author

Jill S-S

### UPDATE: March 30th, 2018 ###

GREAT NEWS! It’s been a very long time coming, but Apple have finally released macOS 10.13.4, which resolves this bug.

This means that, as we promised, all versions of Artboard and Ortelius including the older 1.9.x version will now function normally provided you update your OS to 10.13.4 (or do not update it beyond 10.13.1). For those customers that chose to upgrade to Artboard 2 as a solution to this issue, we thank you for you continued support. Artboard 2 of course will work correctly on 10.13.4, as well as 10.13.2 and 10.13.3.

With this bump in the road behind us, we look forward to some great new features and updates in the near future.

### UPDATE: December 11th, 2017 ###

We have been able to develop a workaround *for Artboard 2* regarding the bug Apple introduced in macOS 10.13.2. This version (2.0.8) of our software must be used if you have upgraded or are intending to upgrade to macOS 10.13.2. If you have NOT yet upgraded your OS to this version, make sure you update Artboard 2 first, by launching the app and choosing “Check For Updates…” in the Artboard 2 application menu. If you have already updated your OS to 10.13.2, you will not be able to do this, because Artboard 2 fails to launch on that version. Instead, you must download the app again manually, and double-click the .dmg file to drag-install the application, overwriting the existing copy. The download link is: https://www.mapdiva.com/artboard/downloading-thank-you/

If you obtained Artboard 2 from the App Store, the 2.0.8 update will be available through the Updates tab in the App Store app in due course.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Yesterday’s macOS 10.13.2 update contains a critical OS bug that prevents Artboard 2 from launching. If you are working on a time-sensitive project with Artboard, please do not install the macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra update.

We have investigated the issue and have determined that it is an OS bug with no workaround. We have notified Apple of the critical nature of this problem for our customers but all we can do is hope is that they fix it in a timely manner. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We will send out a notification when the fix is available.

(updated to clarify the workaround is for Artboard 2)

Jill S-S

We have been able to develop a workaround for the bug Apple introduced in macOS 10.13.2. See original post.

lkb
    Participant

What about people who just have the earlier version of Artboard?

Jill S-S

Hi @Ikb,
    We are hopeful that the issue will be resolved by Apple fixing the OS bug, and that Artboard 1.9.8 will be able to open again with future macOS updates. Of course, we have no way of knowing the course of action Apple with take. We have reported a legitimate bug with the macOS 10.13.2 update. As Apple identified developers, we’ve submitted our report through the proper channels within Apple and provided them with additional documentation to reproduce it. Apple has replied to us that the issue is under review. We will continue to work with Apple and hope it is addressed in an OS update. Unfortunately, the bug is not ours to fix and we have no way to provide a workaround for Artboard 1.9.8 (last release July 2015). This issue affected all of our software, though we were able to devise a workaround with our 2.0 products as they are on a different code base.

We have no intention of forcing an upgrade on anyone, as evidenced by informing our customers (even on 1.9.8) of the bug with 10.13.2 High Sierra within hours of its release. As indicated, at this time, if you desire to keep running Artboard 1.9.8 you should not update to macOS 10.13.2 . We hope (but are not assured) this is a short-term issue that will resolve itself with Apple fixing the bug. For those who choose to upgrade, Artboard 2 is a new product release and major upgrade from previous versions of Artboard. Existing users are eligble for 37.5% discount on the upgrade. https://www.mapdiva.com/artboard/artb-news/2016-artboard-2-pricing/

lkb
    Participant

Thank you so much for your quick response, both to my message and to the larger issue.
    Unfortunately, the reason I am here is because I had already updated my OS and discovered the issue when I sat down to work with Artboard.
    I am still in a good position as I had my previous computer gathering dust in a desk drawer. I was able to use that with no issue, as it has not been updated (or touched) in months.
    I will consider upgrading my Artboard, as I do enjoy the program, but will wait for the patch for now, and just use my old computer when I need Artboard.

Thanks again for being a great company, and having a great program.

Geoff
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Jill S-S

Hi Geoff,
    We know some users of Artboard 1 may want to continue using that version, and we want them to be able to do so for as long as the hardware and operating system support it. Software are commonly maintained on a development cycle, and undergo periodic major upgrades in which the prior versions are no longer supported. Users who choose to stay with an unsupported version should do so with an understanding that at some point in the future changes to the operating system or hardware platform may make that software underperform or inoperable. Of course, we didn’t expect that an OS bug would have that affect, and we have been proactive to inform customers of thier options, as well as working with Apple to seek a fix that will prolong the life of our previous software, even though it is no longer formally supported.

I understand your frustration. It has been frustrating for us as well, as it affected all of our software products. Apple has informed us that they have a solution under investigation, and we remain hopeful that the issue will be resolved by Apple fixing the OS bug. In that case, Artboard 1.9.8 should be able to open again with future macOS updates.

Our current product is Artboard 2, which is a new product and significant upgrade from Artboard 1. We were fortunate to devise a workaround for this bug on Artboard 2 as it runs on a different code base. We are not holding anything back from Artboard 1 — there is simply no workable solution other than an OS fix by Apple. The options for Artboard 1 users remain to: 1) delay the macOS 10.13.2 upgrade until the OS release with the fix, 2) upgrade to Artboard 2 (with a discount), or 3) be patient and anticipate that Apple will provide the OS fix that will enable Artboard 1 to open again.

Jill S-S

### UPDATE: March 30th, 2018 ###

GREAT NEWS! It’s been a very long time coming, but Apple have finally released macOS 10.13.4, which resolves this bug.

This means that, as we promised, all versions of Artboard and Ortelius including the older 1.9.x version will now function normally provided you update your OS to 10.13.4 (or do not update it beyond 10.13.1). For those customers that chose to upgrade to Artboard 2 as a solution to this issue, we thank you for you continued support. Artboard 2 of course will work correctly on 10.13.4, as well as 10.13.2 and 10.13.3.

With this bump in the road behind us, we look forward to some great new features and updates in the near future.

The topic ‘Updated: Resolved – macOS 10.13.2 update prevents Artboard from opening’ is closed to new replies.