Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      alonsofedz
      Participant

Is there a way that grid patterned roads can be made? I’ve been searching for this all over, but can’t seem to find a way to make tracks intersect one another after drawing the tracks over the others.

Mapdiva

Good question. When drawing a road network, all kinds of situations come up. Sometimes you want roads to intersect, sometimes to cross over or under. Intersections occur when end-points meet an adjoining road. The easiest way to make this happen is to draw main road sections first, for example this may be your north-south roads. Then draw smaller sections from road to road in the east-west direction, snapping the beginning and end points to your first set. Don’t make your east-west roads long sections, unless you want them to actually cross over instead of junction (desirable in some circumstances).

Some hints: in the Ortelius Preferences, you can set to “auto-complete tracks” which will end track automatically at a junction with needing to double-click. Hold the Shift key if you want to constrain the angles of the road while you draw.

alonsofedz
      Participant

Well, that is quite a tedious solution, but will have to do meanwhile.

If I may suggest some sort of preference where whenever roads cross an intersection is made, something that can be turned on or off might be nice.

This, taking in consideration a map of my hometown’s downtown I am trying to make, where most of the city is a perfect grid, save certain exceptions.

:D

Graham
      Keymaster

Hi – we appreciate your input. An alternative way to handle this is to use the path cutting tool to split the intersecting roads where they cross. The problem that crops up is that the tool is just as apt to split the underlying road, so to get around that you can initially lay out the east-west roads on another layer, split them, then move them to the north-south roads layer where they can be slid into place and connected. The next update will make this easier because of the improvements/additions for moving objects to different layers when roads will automatically connect. The manual step of cutting the paths can be accomplished very quickly. However, making this even easier without needing this little dance is definitely something we’d like to do, so consider it noted – Rome wasn’t built in a day but I’m sure we’ll manage to please everyone eventually!

alonsofedz
      Participant

That’s something good to hear. I’m not at all disappointed, as this is some great piece of software. The best thing is that you guys are willing to hear the commons about what would make of Ortelius some great software.

And I’m sure we’ll all be looking forward from more from you guys.

Thanks on the alternative solution, I think I may be using that instead, sounds a little more efficient.

:)

Graham
      Keymaster

More on this – in 1.0.3, I’ve added some smarts to the path cutting tool so that it will automatically reconnect the cut ends of a track to a valid underlying track if there is one (but not to each other). This means that you can convert a crossover to a fully connected crossroads junction simply by clicking with the path cutting tool at the intersection. This makes laying out grids of roads much easier and doesn’t require extra layers. 1.0.3 should be available in the next few days or so.

Mapdiva

With today’s update, the path cutting tool is available to automatically cut and connect tracks. A new post is also available on the topic: http://www.mapdiva.com/2009/09/how-to-draw-complex-road-networks-automatic-junctions/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Grid Pattern Roads’ is closed to new replies.