Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Erik M-H
      Participant

I’m working with a large canvas (96cm x 96cm) at a very large scale (1:4023360, that is 4cm = 100 miles).

I have a number of different layers, each of which has one source map which is smaller than the whole canvas (the largest is about 80cm x 52cm, the smallest is 8cm x 8cm). None of the images spills over any edge of the canvas.

By my figuring, my largest source map (80cm x 52cm) represents about 2000 miles x 1300 miles. Since it’s about 12cm in from the left edge of the canvas and about 28cm down from the top of the canvas, its X-offset is 300 miles and its Y-offset is 700 miles.

But when I look at the geometry pane of the object inspector for the source map, it tells me that its width is 47270.511 x 34224.842 miles with offsets of 48.2 and 54.4 miles.

I’m guessing that I’m missing something fundamental here; or maybe there’s a bug that shows up only when working with large canvases.

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide….

Mapdiva

Hello Erik, I have recreated your layout based on your nicely detailed description. The X,Y in the Object Inspector – Geometry are reported correctly for the center point of your image. It does appear there may be an error in the reporting of width and height in the Object Inspector – we’ll conduct further investigation of this bug report. When you measure with the Ruler tool you will see the correct dimensions (i.e., 2000x1300mi), so rest assured your scale is set properly.

Note also, if you find it helpful you can add the X,Y mouse coordinates to your toolbar by the Customize Toolbar command. Thanks for the report.

Erik M-H
      Participant

And I’m also now noticing the tooltip height and width showing when I click on the object — very nice! OK, glad to see Ortelius is indeed registering the correct “real-life” dimensions of the object. Great!

As for the X,Y location, I hadn’t realized it was reporting on the center of the object; I’d assumed it referred to the top left corner of the object. It looks like there is a small bug here: I’m seeing “48.20 miles” and “54.40 miles”. Now that I know it’s talking about the center of the object, it seems clear that the object inspector is showing me the wrong units. The center of the object is indeed about 48cm from the left edge and about 54cm from the top of the canvas.

I’m not sure whether you mean it to report in map units or real-world units; but I think it should either say “48.20cm” or “1205mi”.

But now that I know what it’s doing, I can cope. Thanks!

Mapdiva

Thanks, We’ll check it out. Note also, you can set your preferred display units by choosing View > Display Units from the main menu.

Erik M-H
      Participant

Good to know; thanks, Jill!

Adjusting View > Display Units does, immediately, affect the “width” and “height” geometry in the object inspector, but the “Location X” and “Location Y” displays do not change: they still (incorrectly) read “48.20mi” and “54.40mi”. But again, now that I realize what the problem is, I can mentally adjust for it.

Thanks!

geometrydash
      Participant

erik that’s good to hear about your project your thread is very informative with jill replays even i want to some projects on geometry dash i want to hear from you thanks apk

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Geometry oddity’ is closed to new replies.