• Author

dickgilbert
    Participant

Hi, I’m a geriatric newbie having only just started on the tutorials!

I’m trying to recreate UK medieval hundredal boundaries (the hundred is a medieval unit of administration) on modern maps and to do this I need to use a map where parish boundaries are clearly shown. I can then trace along the edges of the relevant portions of the parishes, rivers and footpaths etc. to outline the hundredal bounds. Unfortunately the Ortelius library maps do not appear to show parish boundaries but the UK Ordnance Survey 1:25000 Explorer series does. These maps are available for digital download.

My question is therefore, is it possible to import Ordnance Survey maps for editing in Ortelius?

Many thanks,

Dick Gilbert

Jill S-S

Hi Dick,
    Welcome to Ortelius! While we don’t have the editable vector map that you seek, you can add scanned images (maps) to Ortelius and trace over them. Use the Image Browser to drag-drop images (or drag directly from Finder).

If you are working with a map scanned in sections, you may find these tips handy: https://www.mapdiva.com/ortelius/ortl-tutorial/tips-for-stitching-together-images-for-a-base-map/

I hope that helps, Jill

The topic ‘Can I import Ordnance Survey maps?’ is closed to new replies.