Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Erik M-H
      Participant

I’m beginning to see that there are a lot of advantages to keeping symbols attached to the symbol master:

• Tweaks or adjustments to the symbol are reflected in all instances of the symbol.
      • Attached symbols can have labels.
      • [maybe more]

I’d been assuming that I’d want usually to detach symbols whenever I placed them on my map, but as I think about it, there’s only been one reason I’d wanted to do this:

• Symbols can’t be rotated or scaled by unproportional amounts

Is there any way to get both behaviors? I’ve created a number of composite hill symbols, which I’d like to be able to label and to have automatically pick up any style changes I might make down the road, but I’d also like to be able to rotate them individually by a few degrees and to stretch some of them wider or taller than the standard symbol.

Is there any way I can “have it all”? :-)

Mapdiva

Symbols can be rotated by adjusting their angle in the Object Inspector Geometry pane. Symbols can be scaled either directly by dragging the lower right symbol knob, or in the Object Inspector Features pane.

The “Detach from master” setting is useful for artwork or objects you want to use repeatedly but more like editable clip art (in fact, this is what we’re doing for clip art in Artboard ;) ). For example, we use if for Legends because once placed users would want to use it as a graphic not a symbol.

Another big advantage of symbols is they can be “swapped” with other symbols, much like applying a new style to an existing shape. Select one or more symbol(s) and double-click a different symbol in the Symbols palette and they will be replaced. That is not possible with clip art (detached symbols).

Erik M-H
      Participant

Excellent — we’re half-way there! I’m very pleased that I can rotate symbols (though it seems odd to me that the purple-dotted rotation handle is visible and useable for grouped objects but not for symbols — but I’m not complaining!). Hooray!

I don’t see how to scale a symbol in a non-proportional fashion, though. The lower-right knob — even with modifier keys — seems only to adjust height and width simultaneously and proportionally. In the Geometry window, both height and width are grayed out and I cannot change the values. Interestingly, I can lock and unlock the proportional padlock there — but it has no effect, either upon the grayed-out values or upon the behavior of the lower-right knob on the symbol itself.

Is there a preference I need to set differently somewhere?

— E

Mapdiva

That is correct behavior. You cannot scale a symbol in a non-proportional manner as you have described.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Attached symbols vs. detached ex-symbols’ is closed to new replies.