Preference settings affect how Artboard behaves, and they apply to all of your Artboard documents.
HINT: Many preferences are set in your computer’s System Preferences. To open System Preferences, click the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen, then choose System Preferences.
To open Preferences, choose ‘Artboard > Preferences…’ in the main menu. The window includes preferences for Editing, User Interface, Performance and Advanced user options.
Preferences for Editing
Click the Editing tab. Change one or more of the following settings:
- Auto-activate clicked layer – When checked, clicking objects automatically activates the layer the object belongs to (default – unchecked).
- Automatically close paths when drawing – When drawing Irregular Polygons, Bezier Paths and Freehand Paths the paths will automatically “formally” close when you finish a path at its starting point. Uncheck this setting if you prefer paths not automatically close (default – unchecked).
- End points of closed-loop paths treated as a single point – Paths whose end points are coincident are treated as a single point when moving them or their control handles (default – checked).
- Snap to Graph Paper when Graph Paper is visible – When Graph Paper layer is visible, the snap to graph paper setting will be active; when Graph Paper layer is hidden, the snap setting will be deactivated (default – checked).
- Freehand smoothness – Sets the smoothness of the Freehand Path tool to Fine, Smooth, or Very Smooth (smoothness is related to number of points) (default is Fine).
- Return-key inserts a new line when editing text boxes – Default behavior is the Return-key goes to new line when editing text boxes. Click outside of text box ends text editing (default – checked). If unchecked, Return-key will end editing; use the key combination
Shiftto go to next line.
- Allow inline images in text boxes and text paths – Images can be dropped into text boxes from the Image Browser, becoming in-line with other text (default – unchecked).
Preferences for the User Interface
Click the User Interface tab. Change one or more of the following settings:
- Show Template Gallery when launching application – Template Gallery opens automatically on application launch (default – checked).
- Handles – Curve handles and rotation knobs can be displayed a normal or large size. Large size makes selecting object handles easier when zoomed out and on large format screens (default – Large).
- Enable Trackpad zooming gestures – When checked, use pinch-zoom and other trackpad gestures.
- Option + scrollwheel zooms drawing – Allows magnification of the view to be changed using
Option+ scrollwheel (default – checked).
- Check to invert scrollwheel zoom direction changes sense of scrollwheel zooming.
- Style Dropper remembers last style used – Style dropper remembers last style it picked up (default – unchecked).
- Show Help and online resources using external browser – Opens Help and online resources in user’s default web browser rather than within the app (default – unchecked).
Preferences for Performance
Click the Performance tab. Change one or more of the following settings:
- Faster, lower quality drawing when zooming and scrolling – Enables automatic use of low-quality rendering during operations that require rapid redrawing, such as zooming and scrolling, to speed performance (default – unchecked).
- Anti-aliasing – Turning off anti-aliasing preference improves performance while editing large files (default – checked).
- Shadows – Turning off shadows at very high zoom improves performance while editing large files; note, the zoom scale can be set by the user (above 800%; default – checked).
- Skip Gaussian Blur filters when importing SVG – Related to the software in which an SVG file was created, occasionally Gaussian Blur filters may not be efficiently imported. Turn off filters when working with such SVG files (default – unchecked).
Preferences for Advanced Users
Click the Advanced tab. Change one or more of the following settings:
- Record up to __ undoable operations – Sets the number of undo operations available when using the Undo command (the default is 24).
- Enable Layer Mask – Makes layer mask commands available in the ‘Layer >’ main menu.
- Enable Global Styles – When checked, multiple objects can share the same style. When the style is edited, the change applies across all objects in which the style is applied. Use “Reset” or “Clone” to create new styles when this setting is active. (default – unchecked).
- Styles are sharable by default – Makes shared style the default setting when creating new styles (default – unchecked).
- Reset All Alerts… does what you’d expect.
- Empty Image Browser Cache – Clears the cache of thumbnails used in the Image Browser.
To Reset Preferences
- Hold the
Optionkey down and choose ‘Artboard > Reset Preferences…’ from the main menu.
- When presented with the confirmation dialog, click ‘Reset Preferences’.
HINT: This restores everything to its original state as if the application were a new installation. It cannot be undone.