Artboard uses Apple’s system to save with Autosave and Versions. Because Pages continually saves your work, you can browse earlier versions of any document, save copies of previous versions, and restore a document to an earlier version.
To Save / Save As
To manually save a drawing, do one of the following:
- Choose ‘File > Save…’ to manually save your drawing file, or
- Alternatively, hold the Option-key and choose ‘File > Save As…’ from the main menu, or
- Use the
Rename a Drawing
Click the document name at the top of the Artboard window, then type a new name.
Duplicate a Drawing
- Choose ‘File > Duplicate’ to create a new file that is a copy of the current file. A new document opens with its name selected at the top of the document.
- Type a new name, then press Return.
The copy is saved to the same location as the original.
Save As Template
- Choose ‘File > Templates > Save Copy As Template…’ from the main menu.
- Next time you open ‘File > Templates > New From Template’ you will see your saved template files.
View and Copy an Earlier Version
- Open the document, choose ‘File > Revert To’ from the main menu, then choose ‘Browse All Versions’.
- To view earlier versions, click tick marks along the timeline, or use the arrows. The current version appears in the window on the left. Earlier versions appear in the window on the right. You can edit the current version in this view. You can’t edit earlier versions, but you can copy text and objects from them.
- Do one of the following:
- Save a copy of the version displayed on the right as a new document: Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, then click Restore a Copy. Pages opens the copy in a new window, where you can edit it. The original version remains open in its own window, or
- To return to the current version of your document: Click Done.
Restore an Earlier Version
A restored version replaces the current version. To keep the current version and an earlier one, make a copy of the earlier version, as described in the previous task.
- Open the document, choose File > Revert To from the main menu, then choose one of the following:
- Last Opened: All changes you made to the document since you last opened it are deleted.
- Last Saved: All changes you made to the document since you last saved it are deleted.
- Browse All Versions: The timeline for the document opens. The current version appears in the window on the left. Earlier versions appear in the window on the right. You can edit the current version in this view. You can’t edit earlier versions, but you can copy text and objects from them.
- If you chose ‘Browse All Versions’, click the tick marks along the timeline or use the arrows to browse versions, then do one of the following:
- Restore your document to the version displayed on the right: Click Restore.
- To return to your document without making any changes: Click Done.
HINT: Collaborators with editing privileges can copy and restore only the versions created after you shared the document. Collaborators with View Only privileges have no access to earlier versions.
If you add or change a document password, the password applies only to versions created after the password was added or changed. To prevent others from restoring unprotected versions or versions with older passwords, stop sharing the document, add a password to it, then share the document again.