Artboard ships with an outstanding Collection of over 1900 uniques styles and editable vector clip art. New styles and graphics can be added to the user’s Library. Use the Library Manager to manage items in the library.
Manage Clip Art and Styles
The Library Manager operates behind the scenes. It’s where all styles and clip art are organized into collections and categories.
The Library Manager uses an interface which is very similar to other applications, such as Finder, and this familiarity should make it quick and easy to learn and use. Similar to the Styles & Clip Art palette, items can be dragged directly from the Library Manager to your drawing canvas.
The Library Manager’s left sidebar lists the collections and categories, and its main window displays items an icon view or list view. The Library Manager view is customizable.
To Open the Library Manager
Do one of the following:
- Click the Library Manager button on the toolbar, or
- Choose ‘Window > Library Manager’ from the main menu.
The Library Manager contains two libraries – the ‘Mapdiva Library’ and the user’s ‘My Library’. Each library may contain one or more collections.
- The Mapdiva Library contains a built-in Artboard Collection with hundreds of fun styles and clip art ready for making your next masterpiece. Items in this library cannot be modified, though they can be reorganized into various categories and subcategories, and also copied (cloned) to My Library for further customization.
- ‘My Library’ is the location of user created collections. Organize your styles and clip art into categories as desired.
To Save New Styles to User Library
Artboard’s Style Tab helps you build and save your creations – enabling more creativity and greater productivity. Do the following:
- Click the Action Menu at the bottom of the Styles Tab.
- Optionally, choose ‘Rename’ and type a new name.
- Choose ‘Save as Library style…’ The Library Manager is launched and the style is added to the default collection in My Library. New styles are immediately available in the Styles & Clip Art Palette for drawing.
Save New Clipart to User Library
- Draw a graphic and group the objects as necessary.
- Select one or more separate graphic or group (each separate graphic or group will be added as an individual clipart).
- Click the Create Library Item button from the toolbar, or choose ‘Graphic > Save Clip Art To Library’ in the main menu. The clip art is automatically added to the Library Manager and is available immediately in the User Library from the Styles & Clip Art Palette.
Editable / Not Editable
To change items in the User Library from editable to not editable, do one of the following:
- Clip Art – In the Library Manager, right-click an item and choose ‘Editable’ (or ‘Not Editable’) from the contextual menu, or
- Clip Art – From within the Library Manager’s List view, click the icon to the right of the item name to toggle between ‘Editable’ or ‘Not Editable’.
- Styles – Within the Library Manager’s Icon view, double-click a style to open it in the Style Inspector. Change the editable status from within the Style Inspector.
HINT: Items in the built-in Mapdiva Library cannot be made editable. Clone to edit styles in the built-in library.
Rename User Styles and Clip Art
To rename items in the User Library, do the following:
- Double-click the name of the item in the Library Manager.
- Type to rename it.
- To add a description, select the style or clip art and click the Information button on the Library Manager toolbar.
HINT: Items in the built-in Mapdiva Library cannot be renamed.
Move or Copy Item
Do one of the following:
- Drag-and-drop to move items between collections and categories, or
- To copy an item from one collection to another, hold the
OPTIONkey while dragging the item.
HINT: Dragging from the Mapdiva Library to your own collection will copy the item rather than move it.
To permanently remove an item from the User Library,
- Select the item(s) and right-click.
- Choose “Delete…” from the contextual menu (items must be ‘Editable’ to be deleted).
HINT: Items in the built-in Mapdiva Library cannot be deleted.
Categories keep your styles and clip art organized and easy to find. You can freely add categories to organize the collections, and categories can be divided into subcategories.
Add a New Category
To add a new category, click the ‘+’ button or choose “New Category” in the Action Menu (looks like a gear). A new “untitled category” is added to the active collection (or, if you have selected a category, a new subcategory (child) of the selected category is added). Type a name for the category. A category can be renamed at any time by double-clicking its name and typing a new one. Category names must be unique within a collection.
Delete a Category
To delete a category, select the category and click the ‘-‘ button or choose “Delete Category…”. Deleting a category does not delete the styles and clip art it contains – items remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted – but they may be harder to find later. This operation cannot be undone.
Adding Items to Category
Individual styles and clip art can belong to one or more category. Items are organized into categories using drag-and-drop. Simply select the “All Items” category to show the content of the library, then drag items (
SHIFT + click to select multiple items) to the desired category in the left-hand list. To nest and unnest categories, just drag-and-drop the category where you want it.
Remove Items from Category
To remove items from a category, select the items, right-click and choose “Remove From Category” from the contextual menu. Alternatively, select the category and drag items out of the window to some empty space. Removing an item from a category does not delete it from its collection – it will remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted. Items can’t be removed from or directly added to any of the automatically managed categories, such as “All Items.”
Use Smart Categories
In addition to normal categories, a special type of category exists called a “Smart Category.” Smart Categories are shown having a purple-colored icon.
Smart Categories work by filtering the entire collection based on a set of criteria you establish. As such, their content is dynamic and will change automatically as items are added, removed and edited. Smart Categories are similar to Smart Folders and Smart Playlists feature in applications such as Finder and iTunes(TM).
Add a New Smart Category
To create a Smart Category, select the collection to add it to and choose New Smart Category… from the Action Menu. The criteria editor is opened ready to edit the category. You can build up the desired filter by combining different criteria as you wish; click ‘+’ to add a new criteria to the query, ‘-‘ to remove a criteria. You can also limit the content to a fixed number of results if you wish. Click ‘Save’ to establish the Smart Category which will immediately display the content matching the query. Double-click the name or right-click and choose “Rename” from the contextual menu to change a Smart Category’s name.
Edit Smart Category
Smart Categories are not directly editable in that you can’t drag items into or out of them, but you can edit the filter criteria. To edit the filter criteria, select the category and choose “Edit Smart Category…” from the Action Menu. The criteria editor is opened ready to edit the category.
Delete Smart Category
To delete a Smart Category, select the category and click the ‘-‘ button or choose “Delete Category…”. Deleting a category does not delete the styles and clipart it contains – items remain available in the “All Items” category unless intentionally deleted. This operation cannot be undone.
Get More Information About Items
Click the “Get Info” icon in the Library Manager Toolbar.
A drawer slides out and displays information about the selected style or clip art. This information includes the name, description, and other item metadata. Use the information panel to edit the name and description of your User Library items.
To import a collection from another user (or from Mapdiva), do one of the following:
- In Finder, unzip the file (as needed), then in the Library Manager choose ‘Import Collection…’ from the Action Menu (looks like a gear). The collection will be imported into My Library and displayed, or
- In Finder, unzip the file (as needed), then double-click the collection file. The Artboard Library Manager will launch and collection will be automatically imported into My Library.
Export from My Library to create a zip file on disk of the entire collection, allowing you to backup and share it with other users.
- Select the desired collection to export.
- Choose ‘Export Collection…’ from the Library Manager – Action Menu (looks like a gear).