Cartoon clouds are fun to make and use! Sure, you can use the Freehand Path or Bezier Curve tools to draw clouds, and here we show how to use Artboard’s shape tools to get some really awesome (and super easy!) results.
- Program : Artboard 2
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Topics Covered: Drawing Tools; Combining Shapes
- Estimated Completion Time: 10-15 minutes
Step 1 – Cartoon Clouds
- Choose File > New from the main menu.
- Open the Styles & Clip Art palette and type in “sky” in the search bar. Choose the “Crayon Fill 8, Sky” fill.
- First we will draw a background object. Choose the Rectangle
Rtool and draw a rectangle that is large enough to fill in most of your drawing canvas. Having a background will make it easier to see the white clouds as you draw!
Step 2 – Cartoon Clouds
- Add a new layer by clicking the “+” at the bottom of the Layers Tab. Make sure the new layer is above the first drawing layer in the layer list (to rearrange layers, drag the layer to the left side of the layers list, between the layers where you want it placed (a yellow line indicates its drop position)). Drawing on a new layer helps prevent accidentally selecting your background object.
- In the Styles & Clip Art palette, type in “snow” in the search bar. Choose the white “Snow” fill.
- Use the Oval
Otool while holding
SHIFTto draw a series of circles. Make them different sizes and random around what will be the top of your cloud. Return to the Select
Stool and reposition the circles as needed so their edges are touching.
Step 3 – Cartoon Clouds
- Choose the Round-ended Rectangle tool.
- Draw a long shape for the bottom of your cloud.
Step 4 – Cartoon Clouds
- Choose the Irregular Polygon
- Draw a shape that fills in the center of the cloud (refer to the ‘Extra Graphics’ in the sample file to see these shapes before combining them).
Step 5 – Cartoon Clouds
- Choose File > Select All
Afrom the main menu to select all the shapes that will make your cloud.
- Click Combine > Union button in the Geometry Tab to merge the objects into a single shape. That’s it!
Final Image Cartoon Clouds
Now you can draw more clouds, jazz up some of the styles, and add a some other graphics to make your image shine.