A major update which adds the new pro Library Manager, new Styles & Symbols palette, and more. Recommended for all users.
Release Notes, version 1.1
- New Library Manager. Ortelius 1.1 features a completely rewritten and redesigned system for managing your cartography symbols and styles. Brought across from Ortelius Pro, this extensive change provides a greatly improved workflow and boost in efficiency for the user, a new user interface and major performance enhancements. Please review the revised built-in and online help for more information about this major improvement.
- Symbol Creation has been rewritten and is now integrated into the new Library Manager.
- New Symbols & Styles palette rewritten to use new Library Manager and to greatly improve the user experience.
- Style and Object Inspectors add a simple aid for inserting standard tagged attributes (e.g. name, route number, sequence number) to text adornments and attributes, making these much easier to use.
- Added starter map of Brazil to built-in templates.
- Symbol masters can now default the kind of sequence they establish when sequenced. The user can change this later as before.
- Menu commands for selecting all labels and deselecting all labels added (applies to multiple selection as usual).
- Ability to copy layers between different documents is now supported - just drag the layer to the list of layers in the destination document.
- Added 150% and 600% presets to Zoom scale pop-up menu.
- For performing basic searches and smart searches on the 'searchable text' property, all attribute values and label text are now searched (in addition to text adornments attached to styles, as previously).
- Style Pick-up tool now integrates with the new Styles & Symbols Palette to show what it has picked up live. Also, it is optionally no longer reset every time it is selected, so you can go back to the tool to drop its current style to further objects, and you can also directly set its style from the Styles & Symbols palette. A preference was added to set whether the tool has persistent styles or not.
- Alpha (transparency) is now supported for PNG export.
- Bitmap export now adds support for 96, 180 and 600 dpi resolution.
- option-clicking on a visible or lock icon in the layers list exclusively sets the visible or unlocked state of that layer.
- Hidden layers are shown disabled in the Move To > (Layer) menu, since moving objects to hidden layers is unsupported.
- Adding layers to a locked group is no longer attempted (it previously was attempted and then failed, leaving the app in an unstable state). The UI now takes into account whether the parent group is locked and disables items and menus that add layers as necessary.
- A crash when trying to adjust label length or position on tracks was fixed.
- When a symbol is placed as a detached graphic, its metadata attributes are restored from the symbol template. Previously these were getting deleted.
- When a path was converted to a track, its type wasn't initially set preventing interconnection with other default tracks. Now its type is set to generic.
- A similar bug to the 'locked symbol' bug but for layers was fixed. This had far less serious consequences, but manifested as a loss of the selection colour on locked layers after a number of saves. Affected files will now open with the default assigned selection colours but will honour any changes to them from now on even if layers are subsequently locked.
- Incorrect beep when dragging guides was removed.
- Inserting a roundabout for a junction that is attached to the very end point of a track no longer fails, leaving the layer in a non-functioning state. Now, the roundabout is correctly inserted even for tracks which are butted end-to-end which is not normally considered a well-formed junction.
- Converting text blocks with >1 line to a group was unreliable, frequently leading to inverted lines.
- Ungrouping tracks is now much more reliable when reconnecting the ungrouped tracks both to each other and existing tracks.
- A memory leak of a small but very frequently used object was fixed, which may have been leading to out of memory errors (or a crash) after extended periods of use.
- Placing a zero-length track no longer throws an exception which leaves the drawing in a non well-formed state. Instead, the track is discarded as per other objects.
- Several fixes relating to the Smart Searches dialog, plus some enhancements with its user interface.
- Inability to paste styles onto a track under some circumstances was fixed (Paste command was not showing in contextual menu and fixed menu was greyed out).
- Shift + Cookie Cutter retains the cutter as top object for further operations.
- Added confirmation alert for setting styles & symbols directly from Styles & Symbols palette (double-click), as this behaviour is perhaps non-obvious. Alert can be suppressed.
- Preferences adds separate 'Alerts' tab as well as a way to reset all of them at once.
- Colour pop-ups in layers list no longer show the menu arrow or allow the menu to be opened if the layer is locked (previously menu appeared but the change was not accepted due to the lock).
- Tool and Style/Symbol buttons were changed to increase the visual contrast between the enabled and disabled states.
- Watermark on printed output for educational licenses is now a light grey instead of red, and is positioned inside the border for 'fit to single page' setting.
- Palette and toolbar controls changed to use the more modern 'gradient' style buttons.
Previous version release notes