A general update recommended for all users.
Release Notes, version 1.8
- Layer Masking. By enabling Layer Masks, you can create complex clipping masks for each individual layer which add a powerful new creative dimension to your projects.
- You can now use the Tab key to cycle through a series of overlapping objects to select them. This is useful in situations where directly clicking the object might be awkward or impossible, such as when one object completely covers another.
- Your Artboard creations can now be directly shared to your favourite social networking sites or emailed using the new 'Share' toolbar button.
- Hit-testing of text shapes and paths is now more reliable using a new "greeking" algorithm. This is available on MacOSX 10.7 and later.
- A potential hang when disabling shadow rendering altogether was fixed.
- A problem with the alignment of Core Image filter effects near the edges of the drawing was fixed.
- A problem with the "Sticky Tools" setting being ignored when switching tools using the keyboard was fixed.
- A problem that could cause very slow performance when a lot of stroked objects were in the drawing was fixed.
- A problem where a saved file could not be reopened when certain Core Image filter effects were used was fixed.
- The preference setting for "Auto-activate Layers" was moved from the Layer menu to the Preferences dialog.
- Object alignment commands now align based on the object's path rather than the bounding box, which is strongly influenced by the style applied. This makes alignment much more consistent and useful.
- Images exported in any of the bitmap formats (JPEG, PNG, TIFF) now use the Generic RGB colourspace rather than the device-specific colourspace. This maintains better colour fidelity as these images are subsequently used, such as on webpages, etc.
Version 1.7 Release Notes